Sunday, January 11, 2009

Under A Perigee Moon


Windward today in Kailua with a friend, we came out of Champa Thai after a yummy dinner and looked toward the sea and there it was, the brilliant perigee moon beckoning through the trees. So we went to Kailua Beach, inexplicably empty, and walked beside the water with its glimmering trail of light sent down by the huge glowing orb above us. Lovely!

All I had with me was Kevin's point and shoot camera. I managed to get some shots, but they came out phenomenally grainy and almost sepia-toned. So I decided to get artsy-fartsy and have some fun working with what I had. The results are Seurat-esque, kinda pointillist with a nod to Maxfield Parrish. They look more like paintings than photos, which is kinda cool. Standing under that gorgeous moon on a deserted island beach felt like a dream, surreal, so why not have the image reflect that feeling?

Here's another frame in several iterations, variations on a theme.






I'm a cornball, I know, but I love the thought that we're all under the same sky, the same moon; connected in our hearts and by our humanity no matter how far apart we are.

Aloha pumehana...

No comments: