Wednesday, May 28, 2008

For the Birds

We recently had visits from my mom, and my stepmom. One of our favorite places to take visitors is the Byodi-In Temple, a replica of a 900 yr old temple in Japan.

It's a lovely peaceful place with koi ponds and swans and lots of doves and sparrows. You can buy a little sack of fish food for $1.00, and if you're very still, the birds will fly over and land on your outstretched hand and eat from your palm...



And the swans will glide over and do likewise...


Needless to say, Kevin loves this. If we bought ten sacks of fish food, he'd spend the entire day, and I have to admit, I might as well. It's lovely, a simple joy to feel those soft little feathers brush your hand and to share a moment of trust with another creature who is free to come and go at will.

Not sure why it always amazes me how enjoyable this is. Reminds me of the old Shaker tune...'tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free...


Aloha

1 comment:

Kelley said...

What beautiful pictures!! You have the gift. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I wish I was there.