Monday, July 28, 2008

Integrity

[Update 7/30: Seems integrity is not the only thing lacking lately. A number of my friends are having these issues discovering new acquaintances are not just lacking in integrity, but lacking in conscience and even sanity. Weird how many of us are running into some really pathologically messed up people.

Makes me wonder if it's coincidence, or if the incidence of personality disorders is on the rise, and even if the lack of conscience issue could be a cultural problem. Maybe we need to start 'em young with empathy training throughout elementary and secondary school or something. I wonder if that would even help?? I guess it couldn't hurt...]

Been thinking a lot lately about integrity. Not only doing the right thing simply because it's just, but the more difficult act of making things right when imbalance occurs (ho'oponopono), and the most difficult and truest test of integrity, which is refraining from taking advantage to another's detriment simply because you can. Lack of integrity is true weakness.

Reminds me of another Fiona Apple song (she and I could TALK!):

My peace and quiet was stolen from me
When I was looking with calm affection
You were searching out my imperfections

Oh what a cold and common old way to go
I was feeding on the need for you to know me
Devastated at the rate you fell below me

Oh well...

No comments: