Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pedestal Kickin'


Sometimes you see a friend make a choice and you expect them to make the choice that most people would make, BUT there's a little part of you that hopes they'll take the other path that would make them the extraordinary person you really believe they might be.

As expected, they make the choice most people would make. And all of a sudden you realize just how much you believed in them, and you're vaguely confused and bummed out. It's a period of adjustment, I suppose, when you find out that someone is more human, more foibled than you thought.

Over the years, I've experienced this many times, and the feeling doesn't change, just my reaction to it. Only rarely do I write someone off now. I've learned to trust my gut and kick away the pedestals.

Just had this happen again, so I'm sort of having to adjust how I see this person; not love them any less, just add the foible to the mix and love them differently, sometimes even more. When I do this, it's amazing how later on, sometimes much later on, but without fail, the same person will surprise me with how extraordinary they are in some other way.

I have no doubt people have seen me fall off their pedestals in a similar fashion, and I can only hope that we can grow to love each other eye to eye.

No comments: