Friday, October 3, 2008

Living Things...

...in the kitchen...



Yes, it was time for the 7th grade science experiment, proving that yeast is a living thing. Big bowl, water, sugar and Baker's Yeast. Yum!

Kevin observed the percentage of surface area bubble coverage every fifteen minutes while I wondered if I'd ever get that Guinness-y smell out of my baking bowl.

It's funny, I never did any experiments all through school in science. Somehow, I missed it all. We were always doing plate tectonics or genetics or something from the book, never any hands-on lab science. I'm so glad Kevin is apparently getting a better education than I did. I even taught him how to do a time-concentration plot to graph his data for his report, since I do these for work all the time. That was fun.

Unfortunately, this science project came due the same day (today) as two English papers for Kevin, which created a twee bit of stress at our home this week. It's been a looooooong week, with lots of other things and people on my mind, too, including a three-day migraine and three friends I'm concerned about (if you're reading this, hang in there and know you're on my mind :).

But the weekend is here, Kevin is practicing ZZ Top's 'La Grange' and I'm more than ready to go out somewhere for a nice meal with my boy. Okay, time to get out of the house.

Aloha...

No comments: