Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pick A Pearl

Last weekend we had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory downtown. Yummy!! I recommend the Thai lettuce wraps appetizer...mmm...definitely! And of course, we had cheesecake....Adam's Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Ripple, the seasonal Pumpkin cheesecake, and my favorite, the Chocolate Coconut Cream cheesecake...oh yeah!

Afterwards, we wandered over to the International Marketplace, which I had not been to yet...I know, I know, it's a Waikiki staple, and I live here, no excuse. There are so many places I haven't seen yet. Anyway, they have this incredibly fun thing called "Pick-A-Pearl", a little kiosk run by Maui Divers. They have giant bowls of humble ugly oysters. You choose one (Kevin helped)- the hairiest ugliest one - then tap it three times, shout A-LO-HA! (that's mandatory, of course), and they open it up right in front of you and pull out your pearl. I lucked out and got a huge deep purple one, and I was even luckier to be able to choose a pretty gold and diamond orchid setting.

I'm a lucky lady...mm-hmm!

Here's hoping you all find a pearl in something ugly today...heh...

Aloha pumehana!!

1 comment:

BC said...

Just returned from Hawaii and I, too, had the luck of getting not only one black pearl but three. One I got at the Dole Plantation and the other two at the International Market. I also got pink twins as a free pick at the Dole Plantation. It is sort of embarrassing to have to tap the oyster three times and yell Aloha but it was fun anyway. I had the single black pearl from Dole set into a pendant. The other two I just had drilled so I could get them set later. While I was telling the salesperson about my first experience at Dole and stated I wished I had gotten a pair of matching black pearls to go with the one I had set as a pendant. I was totally shocked when another salesperson reached in a drawer and pulled out a bag with two matching black pearls and said if I would have them set I could have them for nothing. I agreed and bought a set of studs and had them mounted. They are just a shade off than the pendant one but no one notices until I point them out. I plan on keeping the pink ones for my granddaughter who loves anything and everything pink and have them set into earrings at a later date. Her aunt was in Hawaii a year ago and had done the "Pick A Pearl" as well and has a single pink pearl that she is going to give me and I will have it set in a pendant and then either give them to my granddaughter for high school graduation or as a wedding gift. These pearls was just one of the many highlights of my trip.